If you have XML errors to resolve, the following best practices will help you find and fix the problems more easily!
1. View your XML in a text editor. eXtyles automatically opens exported XML files in Word, but can be customized to open them in a text editor of your choice (see here).
2. To find errors and warnings quickly, search for character combinations used to indicate an XML comment or warning:
* <!-- Warning
* <!-- Error
3. See what's really going on in your Word files by displaying nonprinting characters (paragraph marks, spaces, line breaks, etc.)
4. Review Word styles in Draft view.
5. When you find an error, fix the Word file, not the XML! After fixing the Word file, re-export to get valid and correct XML. (If that doesn't work, try fixing the Word file again.)